Once upon a time, not all that long ago, the role of communication leader required a skill set that largely revolved around strong written and verbal abilities.
That was then, this is now.
Today, a senior-level communication executive must be, well, everything. The responsibilities have grown well beyond the scope of what we used to think of communicator job requirements. Their toolkit needs to be brimming with expertise in, yes, storytelling, but also communication technology, analytics, digital strategies and . . . you get the idea.
With that in mind, here’s a sample job description based on what we’re seeing throughout the industry. In fact, this is what we recommend you should aspire to be as you advance in your career.
Fair warning: much is expected. How many boxes do you check? Maybe more importantly, what can you do to improve in areas where you might be lacking today?
Vice President, Global Communication
Do you love telling stories shaped by data and connecting those to broader company goals? Are you passionate about aligning employees in meaningful ways that increase performance and engagement? Are you using insightful metrics to shape strategic communication priorities for your organization?
The Vice President, Global Communication – reporting to the CCO – leads an agile communication and employee engagement team that is obsessive about metrics and continuously improving your contribution toward organizational goals.
We are looking for a thoughtful, innovative, and quantitative communicator to use communication and engagement strategies to drive alignment around business goals and objectives by integrating internal and external communication.
If you are a storyteller and strategist who leverages data to advance a goal-oriented communication strategy that ensures consistent messaging and engagement, we’re looking for you.
What you’ll do:
- Drive strategy for all company communication and thought leadership, determining where, when, and how we consistently tell our story to both internal and external audiences
- Execute strong communication programs and a regular communication cadence with all levels of the organization that align audiences, deepen awareness and engagement, and support company goals
- Create, protect, and proliferate the company’s mission, vision and values as well as ensure corporate messaging that enhances alignment, engagement and employee advocacy
- Aggregate and analyze metrics that illustrate both the impact of your initiatives to better engage and align employees
- Cultivate an environment where every employee has the information needed to do their job so that the workforce is connected and adheres to company standards of integrity and ethics
- Advise the executive team regarding internal and external communication issues and opportunities
- Provide leadership and oversight of the Public Relations, Internal Communication, Customer Marketing, and Community Management teams – developing the strategic and operational framework to ensure ongoing success
- Train and support Employee Communication and Engagement Platform administrators across the enterprise
- Create and maintain comprehensive longitudinal reports of customer and employee communication campaigns
- Establish standards, objectives, and KPIs with respect to the hiring, onboarding, development, motivation, coaching and performance of all company communicators
- Leverage internal eNPS and 360 feedback surveys to identify points of message misalignment and opportunities for communication and engagement improvement
- Identify key metrics to foster improvement that ensure all communication activities are efficient, effective, and scalable
- Create data visualizations and dashboards that will help guide strategic decision-making
What you’ll bring:
- 15-plus years of experience with demonstrated success modernizing, streamlining, and measuring internal and external communication
- B.S. in communication, organizational psychology, journalism – or relevant work experience
- Ability to leverage multi-media campaigns to achieve operational efficiency at scale
- Deep experience with communication technology and data analytics tools as well as the ability to manage technology vendors
- Strong writing and public speaking skills.
- Great listener
- Ability to work across organizational lines, command respect, and influence leadership
- Dynamic Signal Certified