What’s in it for me?
It’s not a selfish question. Actually, it’s just human nature. When anyone is asked to make some kind of change in their life, it’s perfectly understandable that they wonder what the impact will be on them.
But organizations probably don’t think enough about this simple question when they’re launching a new program. And in the case of an Employee Communication and Engagement Platform, which transforms how an organization connects with people, it’s crucial to explain how each worker will benefit.
“Employees want to know: ‘How is this going to make what I do, day in and day out, better? How am I going to be a star as a result of using this?” said Becky Graebe, a respected industry leader who is Senior Director, Communication Expert at Dynamic Signal.
The new guide, “Driving Adoption for Your Employee Communication and Engagement Platform,” provides hands-on examples about how to encourage workers to embrace the system – during both the initial rollout and for ongoing growth. A key success factor is determining what employees believe they need to make them more successful and engaged with the organization.
Read the full guide: Driving Adoption for Your ECE Platform
How do you determine that? Ask them.
Graebe suggests relying on employee satisfaction surveys or even conducting one that’s specifically tailored toward internal communication. That will provide good quantitative information. But for more qualitative feedback, Graebe also is a proponent of hosting focus groups with selected employees.
“You hear the frustration,” she said. “You hear the challenges. Those are things you won’t get in a survey. A real conversation begins and goes to places that you wouldn’t expect.”
Then with these rich insights, you can frame your ECE Platform launch as a response to what you’ve heard from the workforce. You, the employee, are so valued that the organization is investing in a platform that will give you exactly what you have asked for so you can be more successful.
Here are some suggested questions that can be used on surveys or in focus group sessions:
- What do you like/not like about the current communication approach at our company?
- Do you feel well-informed about the company?
- Where do you primarily get your company news?
- Do you feel like you have easy access to company news?
- What was the most recent company article, story, podcast or video that caught your attention?
- Can you recall another interesting article, story or video that has stuck with you?
- How much time are you willing to spend getting up to speed on company news on a weekly basis?
- Is there an executive you would like to hear more from?
- How do we compare to other places where you’ve worked in terms of communication?
- What do you wish other employees in the company knew about the work you are doing?
- Are there any specific things that you would do to make the information more relevant?
- If there was one thing you could change right now about the way we communicate at the company, what would it be?
- How important is it that you receive company news on your mobile device?
- How do you feel about sharing information about the company with your own personal social networks?
- Would you like to have training around building your personal brand and subject matter expertise on social media?
People can spend a majority of their waking hours at work. It’s not a pleasant experience when employees feel disconnected from the organization. When employees understand that an ECE platform will change that, it will naturally drive adoption.
But first you have to ask them what they want.